About two weeks ago my class started a multimedia project where we combine photographs and audio journalism. I was actually really excited about this project as I had a pretty cool idea for a topic. My partner, Cameron, and I decided to do our project on a local art exhibition. When we started out, Cameron and I wanted to get three interviews and enough pictures to go with those interviews but alas, things don’t always turn out like you want them to.
As soon as we started the interviews there were problems. My forgetful self forgot to charge the battery pack to my camera before I went to the exhibition, and as it turns out my camera was dead and so was Cameron’s. My audio recorder was working as was Cameron’s video recorder but we really had no way to take photographs. So I drove home, charged my camera for fifteen minutes and drove back to the exhibition, bringing my charger with me. By the time I had gotten back to the exhibition, Cameron had conducted most of the first interview so I got a few pictures and we moved on to try to find somebody else to interview. Did I mention that the first artist was really worried about copyrights and wanted to make sure we credited everything to them? That artist actually made me really nervous when taking photographs of anything but them and the light coming in the window was really screwy; not ideal conditions for getting the best photographs. I should probably learn to be a little more aggressive or at least not quite as concerned with what the interviewee thinks.
The second interview went well; both Cameron and I asked questions and I got quite a few pictures. That artist wasn’t all that concerned about copyright and was actually really helpful, not to mention super nice. To be honest, if we were doing a personality profile this artist would have been a great person to talk to.
The third interview had its own problems, much like the first. We got a good interview, but by that time in the night, the light was really low and any pictures I took were either too dark or had awful glares from the fluorescent lights in the hotel room. I don’t think I had any useable pictures.
Suffice to say, Cameron and I had some great interviews without the pictures to back them up and only ended up using two of the interviews. But thankfully the device Cameron had to catch audio was a digital recorder, or maybe not. I guess I didn’t realize that this wasn’t allowed. Good thing for the final project all I have is an audio recorder and digital camera.
We didn’t work with SoundSlides either, so I suppose I can say I have no SoundSlides experience. Another faux pas on our part.
All in all it was a crazy and unpredictable experience that had fairly remedial results. BUT it was not a negative experience; I can’t say that I am not happy at having done this project. Like everything else, this was a learning experience and I most definitely learned quite a few things. I don’t really feel like I was as involved in the finished product as I probably should have been, but I rather do like the end result. It turned out a lot better than I thought it would.
You can find the end result here…
You can view the entire class’s projects here…
I have a lot of advice for the future me, working on my individual project. First and foremost, ask a lot of questions and get more pictures that you will ever need. It doesn’t matter if the photos you are taking look really dumb, as long as they are in focus and pertain to the subject at hand, in a pinch they will suffice. Also, get my audio done really early so that if there are any glitches in software or I have other set backs, I will have the time to work with them and get them figured out. I never know what is going to happen. As it stands, I already have some of the material for my final project, but I know that I will have to re-do my interviews because there was much too much background noise to be considered good quality audio.
Now I know what I am doing and I know what not to do therefore my final project should turn out fairly well. I’m excited to put that project together and see how well it turns out.